I must admit, I have started admiring Aseem Trivedi. I had not known much about him. I have not seen his cartoons until a couple of days ago.
Guess, what he has been arrested and charged with sedition for ‘mocking the parliament’. (Read Report)
But some members of parliament (elected officials a.k.a sanctimonious politicians) who were involved in a scuffle, in the august house itself are roaming around free. Apparently landing a few punches to opposition party members is not “mocking the parliament”. (Read Report)
Anyways I have always believed that I lived in a free and democratic country? So I decided to ask myself a few questions.
- Does your country harass cartoonists?
- Does your country reinvent its past history?
- Does your country treat past politicians as holy cows?
- Does your country harass writers/authors?
- Does your country curb internet freedoms?
- Does your country have censorship of films?
- Does your country have different laws for different faiths?
- Does your country jail peaceful activists?
If you answer yes to a majority of the questions above, do you still think your country is a free and democratic?
If you do, then maybe you are a member of parliament.